Sunday, August 25, 2013
The scenic route
Yesterday I spent an hour getting ready to attend the wedding of a friend from work. I left the house 45 minutes before the start of the big event...after programming my GPS. It was an outdoor location somewhere in the Black Hills. I followed the directions precisely, taking each curve at the designated 35 mph. When "Thomasine" announced I had reached my destination, I turned into a gravel driveway thinking there must be some sort of venue up the hill behind the barn. Not the case, however. I quickly exited the small yard and headed back to the highway. I kept driving without seeing anything that looked like a "destination". I turned around and started back and again Thomasine reminded me when I had reached my destination. So this time, I pulled onto the property across the road in spite of "destination is on the left". It this was it, I was certainly the only one there. Well, me and the horses. Now I decided to dig out the invitation and follow those directions, which were no more helpful than Thomasine. I breathed a sigh of relief when I approached a woman getting her mail (out in this uninhabited land). She, however, had no idea where to find Copper Canyon Lodge, but suggested I keep driving for a few more miles. Following her advice, I kept going into the Black Hills National Forest. After 5 miles I turned around and retraced my route--no wedding balloons in sight. I frantically texted a friend who was going to see if she had made it and HOW she got there. No response. So I tried again, without Thomasine's help. I drove for what seemed like miles before seeing balloons at the entrance of a long drive. Hopefully it doesn't matter that I was only there for the processional (must have been a short ceremony)..I was only 25 mins late. I offered my congratulations and talked for a bit. When I started the car to return to town, the "low fuel" warning blinked at me. Ahhhh, I have really never been a fan of weddings!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment