Monday, September 2, 2013
Small town resourcefullness
When I left Cheyenne this morning, my gas gauge told me I had approximately 75 miles until I needed a fill. I programmed the GPS and headed out of town, anticipating a gas station within the first 20 miles. Unfortunately, it was a bit late when the sign on the interstate read "next services 65 miles". But my GPS signaled a turn ahead in 12 miles. I trusted that I would be travelling a different route and just kept going. The back roads of Wyoming are dotted with small towns and many little taverns; however there is a shortage of gas stations. I began to panic as I continued with the "low fuel" light blinking. I pulled into a little roadside café/market whose gas pumps were covered with a big sign advertising the specials of the day. The lady inside was helpful enough to tell me to take the next right into the small town of LeGrange (4 more miles) where there were roadside pumps which required a credit card. I held my breath as I coasted into town, noticing a roadside ATM and two lone gas pumps. What a relief, or so it seemed. Apparently they were turned off for the holiday weekend. I tried both sides, my anxiety at an all time high. I saw a sign pointing to the business district, so I headed that direction. The market/café was open for business. I asked the pleasant lady inside just how far it might be to the next gas station since the local pumps were not working. Patty offered to call the folks who owned the pumps to inquire about the possibility of getting them fixed. No answer, she left a pleasant message about a "lady who was traveling through". Next she called the local elevator and then another woman who used to have extra gasoline in her garage. No luck. By now I am starting to imagine spending the 90 degree day in the car awaiting the return of pump owners. Patty tried one more local call and politely explained my plight to the voice on the other end of the line. When she hung up the phone she provided me with directions to a farm just outside of town and advised me to stop at the third house on the gravel road, saying they were expecting me. I knocked twice to no avail when a large farm truck pulled into the drive. A pleasant gentleman introduced himself and made small talk. He walked toward a gas pump and said he would unlock it and get me on my way. As I handed over a twenty and thanked him profusely, he reminded me to do a favor for someone else some day. I gratefully agreed without hesitation! Lesson Learned.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment