Thursday, March 21, 2013

Hearing limitations

Approximately 18 months ago, I unexpectedly lost most of the hearing in my left ear.  Since then I have made many adjustments to accommodate this limitation.  Others sometimes find my adjustments rather annoying.  For instance, I must maintain control of the remote control because I automatically mute all TV commercials (they play too loudly and often have music);  music is especially troublesome so the radio remains off whenever I am in the car and I try to plug my right ear when music plays during a movie or in a closed space.  I now have a tendency to turn my "good ear" to those who are talking to me on my left side--which means I am looking behind them without making eye contact.  It's funny how many people just stop talking, perhaps feeling ignored.  So most often I just appear to listen intently and shake my head.  This tactic does not work well when someone has asked a question which requires an answer.  It was especially unappreciated tonight by the waitress who repeated herself a couple of times and finally walked away.  I have no idea what she wanted, but I smiled and nodded...repeatedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment