Monday, February 18, 2013
Traveling Salesmen
Last evening I made the mistake of answering the doorbell after 7pm. The young man handed me a package of kleenex and asked if anyone in the home used tissues. I quickly responded "No" and prepared to close the door. He started to dash away and called, "let me get what goes with them...I will only be a moment". I debated whether to simply close the door and keep the tissues, but didn't want to be rude. When he entered the house carrying a huge box containing the ever popular Kirby vacuum cleaner, I groaned! I explained that I was watching a tv show and didn't want to miss it. So with a sincere tone, he promised to take only 10 minutes. What he didn't say was that in 10 minutes another vacuum cleaner salesman would show up at the door to take his place. Now the timer starts all over when the original salesman leaves "Charles" to close the deal. He had at least 24 of those little circle filters, filled with disgusting dirt he had pulled from my clean carpet and was offering to clean the curtains when I finally stopped him. He had also pulled my vacuum cleaner from the closet to demonstrate just how ineffective my product was--as effective as I was at getting rid of him!! Anyway after 2 hours and 4 phone calls to his "boss" reporting that he was just packing up--he finally left. Without a sale, I am happy to report. But what a wasted night--for both of us! At least I can laugh about it...suspect he was not laughing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment