Thursday, April 11, 2013

Cost Benefit Ratio

After a week or more of warm temperatures, the weather man promised a serious storm with a strong chance of snow.   Monday the predicted snowfall was in excess of 20" making travel impossible.  When I returned from work, I hopped in the shower, packed some clothes and a few groceries before heading back to the office.  I bet I am the only one hurrying to work to get "snowed out".  I reasoned that being at work made far more sense than taking vacation time to be snowed in at home.   I made two trips from the car, with all my necessities before settling in for the long winter's night.  (Inflated the bed, stored my clothing and such, and advised security I'd be spending the night)  I congratulated myself for being so prepared.  Until I went to use my cell phone.....this was about the same time as the "hot dog" security guy came to check me out and the creepy cleaning crew started their shift.

I locked myself in (great plan since they all have keys) and assessed my situation.  I have never watched that show Survivor, but I began to identify with the contestants.   The room was stifling hot but I couldn't open the door; no phone or contact with the outside world; no way to know or see who or what was making all the noise in the hallway; and the realization that I was eventually going to have to venture down the hall to pee (more than once or twice).  I'm not sure whether it was the under-inflated mattress, my anxiety or my temperamental bladder that kept me awake; but, it was not a restful night.  As I muddled through Tuesday, I considered whether one less vacation day was really worth this price..... I didn't dare think about it too long since the roads were closed and there was no end in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment