Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Finding the silver lining

I am sometimes amazed at how life unfolds...Yesterday was my first day back to work after a week-long medical leave.  One of my favorite clients called from the emergency room to ask if I had time to visit for a bit since he was in a "waiting" area.  As I struggled to maneuver myself on crutches down multiple hallways, it occurred to me how difficult it MUST be for my wheelchair bound clients.  I spent half an hour catching up with my elderly client--talking, laughing and planning the next step of his care.  When I logged on to the computer this morning to document our meeting, I caught my breath as I reviewed the recent notes.  This wonderful gentleman died unexpectedly, only two hours earlier.  I am so grateful to have returned to work in time to share a brief moment in life with him, but so sorry that there will be no more such moments.  What a gift to say goodbye without knowing that was the reality of our conversation.  Life lessons happen in such unusual ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment