At the beginning of the new year, I made a wish list of things I wanted to do this year--dieting was not on the list! Inspired by my niece, Tracy, I promised myself I would call or contact friends from the past. So for January, I called a dear, dear friend, Erna, from long ago. Erna & I worked together at the bank in Redfield in the early 70's--at that time I was a newlywed and she was a grandma. In spite of the difference in our ages, we got along famously and often hurried through the work day so we could enjoy Happy Hour at the tavern next door to the bank. We continued to keep in touch over the years, and from time to time I would even swing by her house for a "cold one" as she called it. Unfortunately, we lost touch in the past few years except for the annual Christmas card.
My phone call was answered by Erna's husband. Unfortunately, he could not hear me even the third time I shouted my name and greetings into the telephone. He offered the phone to his wife, and I repeated my greeting. After several more LOUD attempts to identify myself, she knew who I was. Although we really could not carry on much of a conversation (I offered to take her out for lunch--she responded "yes, we get lunch here"); the message was clear. After a few futile attempts to talk, Erna reminisced--"we had some great times didn't we?". Yes, we did--I smiled as I said good bye. Memories are forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment