Today I decided to head out on my own little roadtrip--or "daycation" by my niece Tracy's definition. I packed a lunch and loaded two lawn chairs, beach towels, reading materials and a change of clothes into my car and headed to the lake. I intended to lay in the sun for a bit then get busy writing. I staked out my picnic table and planted my belongings before heading to the beach with my other lawn chair, a beer, a book, and a beach towel. I moved to the farthest end of the beach, away from the splashing children and sunbathing teens. With my lawn chair at the edge of the water and my book in hand, I took my seat. Lesson learned--you cannot escape splashing children at a public beach; especially when they discover the geese congretating next to your lawn chair. I certainly hope my sister won't mind that the book she loaned me is a bit waterlogged!
More importantly, I learned to listen. Today the sounds of children splashing & laughing, parents playing and teaching, even geese honking were in perfect tune. I closed my eyes and listened to the harmony of life around me: "look a fish"; "mom, help me make a sandcastle"; "can I play with you"; "don't go out too far"...... At one point I opened my eyes to see a frail, silver-haired couple holding hands venturing out into the water. As the children played around them, I smiled, closed my eyes and shared that moment.
Sounds like a perfect daycation Aunt Kim! I am glad you took the time.
ReplyDelete